Garbage Service Changes – Frequently Asked Questions
The City of Willoughby has entered a 5-year contractual agreement with Republic Services to collect residential garbage, recycling and yard waste.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Why did you change service providers?
- Waste Management’s contract was expiring at the end of October. In an effort to get the best price and service for our residents, the City of Willoughby went out for bids. Republic Services offered the lowest and best bid.
- Waste Management was increasing its monthly fee (up $1.99/month) and changing its services (additional trash bags/cans would not be collected; no bulk items pick up)
How will billing change?
- Republic Services will be billing residents directly each quarter as Waste Management did previously.
- Waste Management will bill for October only. You do not need to contact WM to cancel your service.
- Republic Services will bill for November and December for 2019, then quarterly beginning in 2020
What is the cost?
- The cost for residents is $16.76 per month through 2020. As with all service contracts, there is an increase over the contract period:
Year Regular Senior
2020 $16.76 $15.76
2021 $17.35 $16.35
2022 $17.95 $16.95
2023 $18.58 $17.58
2024 $19.23 $18.23
- Please note, you may receive a refund from Waste Management if you pre-paid for services.
How will the garbage be collected?
- Garbage and recycling will be collected using an automated side loader truck. Every household will receive a 96-gallon garbage tote and a 64-gallon tote for recycling will be furnished by Republic Services. Tote distribution will begin mid-October and should be used starting November 1st.
What if I have more trash than what fits in the tote?
- The 96-gallon tote should be used/filled first. Residents are permitted to add up to (3) 32-gallon cans of your own OR (5) 30-gallon trash bags.
What happens to Waste Management garbage and recycling bins?
- Beginning the week of October 21st, Waste Management will start collecting recycling bins only. Residents with recycling that week are asked to leave bins out so they can be collected. Collection may take a couple of days.
- During the week of October 28th, Waste Management will collect the remaining recycle bins AND any trash cans that residents rented from the company.
What will change with the collection of bulk items and yard waste?
- Republic Services will continue to collect bulk items (furniture, appliances, etc).
- Republic will also collect yard waste. Cans should be clearly marked with “Yard Waste” or you can use yard waste bags.
Will my trash pickup day change?
- Your current pickup day will remain the same.
How is recycling affected?
- Recycling will remain the same: one tote every other week.
What if I use the bag service?
- Republic Services will also offer a bag service. Bags will be yellow and can be purchased in the Service Department at City Hall.
- If you currently have blue Waste Management bags, Republic will take those bags during the transition of services.
Who do I contact with questions about my service?
- All residents will receive communication in the mail from Republic Services in the upcoming weeks. Should you have any issues, please contact Republic Services directly at 1.800.968.7789, 216.441.6300 or visit their website at www.republicservices.com.
We appreciate your patience during this transition. The Willoughby Service Department can be reached at 440.953.4111 if residents need further assistance.