Change Batteries this Weekend!
Fire Departments are urging people to replace the batteries in their smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms this weekend for Daylight Saving Time. This year, Daylight Saving Time ends (fall back), on Sunday, November 3rd. Fresh batteries allow smoke and CO alarms to do their jobs saving lives by alerting families of a fire or a buildup of deadly carbon monoxide in their homes.
It is estimated that there was a yearly average of 386,300 residential fires resulting in nearly 2,400 deaths between 2006 and 2008.
Two-thirds of fire deaths occur in homes where there are no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms. That is why it is important to replace batteries at least once every year and to test your alarms every month to make sure they work. It is recommended all homes have smoke alarms on every level, outside bedrooms and inside each bedroom.
The CPSC estimates there was an annual average of 183 unintentional non-fire CO poisoning deaths associated with consumer products between 2006 and 2008. CO is called the “invisible killer,” because it is a colorless, odorless and poisonous gas. Because of this, people may not know they are being poisoned. Carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete burning of fuel in various products, including furnaces, portable generators, fireplaces, cars and charcoal grills.
That is why it is important to have a working CO alarm in the home.
The Willoughby Fire Department has a FREE smoke detector and carbon monoxide detector program.
Contact the Willoughby Fire Department at 440-953-4343 if you would like to schedule a smoke detector evaluation and/or an install.